Monday 21 July 2008

Bodywork

Before the top section of the body is joined to the neck the remainder of the control cut-out was marked out (on the neck) and then removed with a drill and chisels. Before the two parts were mated together a paper tube was wrapped around the wires that go between the control cutouts so that the wires don't get covered in glue. One day I may need to carry out some repairs so I need the wires to be changeable.



After the cutout was done, it was time to get back to the glue and clamps. Fortunately I had already dowelled the join so there was little chance of the parts drifting out of alignment, but a good dose of pressure helps keep the joint gap under control. The neck side of things was straight and flat, but the mating face on the body had a slight curve across its width (due to my lop-sided sanding). As it was pretty good along its length I decided to leave it alone instead of risking a compound curve.

Getting all the wires through from the neck LEDs was a tight squeeze, but hopefully that means it won't rattle later on...



Once the top part was fastened on, the same process was applied to the lower part. This was a lot easier as there is no wiring going on down there at the moment. The control cavity was finished off and I made sure that I can get the pickup switch in.

The brass cover plate was fitted over the PCB once all the LED wires were plugged in and a temporary battery holder tucked in. The animation part still works!



Clamping and gluing the lower part. The fboard is still protected by tape in case I have a further attack of clumsiness.



After both bosy sections were glued into place the surfaces were blended together. The front and back had to be planed with a small jack plane and finished off with sandpaper. The upper and lower horns fade into the fboard using a round surform and more sandpaper. Finally the bottom of the guitar (ie below the bridge when it is standing upright) has had its curve finished off.



It is good to be able to pick the guitar up normally now and sit it on my lap. I need to think about a stand. I have a couple of stands for my other guitars, but these have fairly conventional shapes. MoonBassAlpha will need an angled stand...

No comments: