Wednesday 27 August 2008

Nearly Finished

The Battery Holder

I must admit that the battery holder is a bit of an afterthought. Now I have nowhere else left to put the batteries other than in the end, just above the throughneck. Still, I want to make it user friendly so I want a battery holder that requires no tools to open and allows changes to be quick and easy.



I toyed with the idea of springy clips but in the end I have gone for a disc with a flat cut into it. Access to the batteries is by rotating the disc (shown in the left hand side picture) so that the flat allows them to pass in and out of their slot. Turning the disc to virtually any other position stops them from falling out (right hand side picture). It is not particularly elegant but it is functional and allows me to leave the tools at home.





Pickup Lines


To mount the pickups (after I had removed all the wood from their fixing points) I cut some small plates from the same piece of copper bar that was used for the nut. The pickup holes had recesses cut into them with a chisel and holes were made to fasten the plates to the wood. The mounting holes for the pickups were threaded with an M3 tap so that M3x30mm mushroom headed bolts could be used.


Doing it this way I can remove the pickups and plates to give access to the volume pot if it ever needs attention. I just need to remember to put the pot in before the pickup when it is finally assembled.




The pickup plates in place. They have two fixings at the top and just the one at the bottom which allows room for the cable to escape into the volume control cavity.


What a good fit! - no doubt helped by the camera angle.

I fitted the pickups and put the strings on to check the clearance between them. I noticed that the bridge pickup was further away from the strings than the neck pickup (due to the neck angle) so I had to pack the pickup plates out by 2mm to get a more consistent gap.

I had a play on the bass (acoustically) and all seemed well, but the frets were still inclined to buzz and their lower edge was quite scratchy on my left hand. After 'playtime' all the hardware was removed in preparation for finishing.

Before I got onto the proper finishing job, I decided this was a good opportunity to restone the frets. Last time I was probably a bit too tentative, so this time I ground off a bit more until my trusty 12" steel ruler verified that all was flat. The frets were sanded and wire-wooled to get back to a civilised profile and the bottom edges carefully filed smooth.

Finishing


Moon Bass Alpha was already pretty well shaped so it was just a case of removing knocks and grubby fingermarks as well as ensuring that the padauk was all the same shade of red as it seems to dull down after a while. I went through the different grades of sandpaper (80, 150, 180, 320) which took 3 long hours.

Not that exciting, but a necessary hurdle to make it look as professional as possible. I don't want to get it out of the gig-bag only for a layman to instantly comment that it looks homemade. I am hoping they will fooled into thinking it is a rare custom beast...

Once the sanding was finished and the dust removed, I rubbed in a coat of Danish Oil. The picture shows the difference this makes as it really brings out the full character of the wood. The PVC look on the fboard is just to prevent the oil soaking into the wrong places.



The oil is allowed to dry overnight before it is rubbed down with 0000 grade wirewool. This is like wiping clouds over the surface - 0000 grade wirewool is sooooooo fine! The oil / wirewool was done three times over the course of a week and after the last wirewool session a layer of beeswax / carnauba wax was applied and buffed to a pleasant sheen. Nice.

No comments: