Tuesday 22 January 2013

War paint




Painting is tedious.

Sanding is tedious.

Sanding down paintwork doesn't figure very highly in my list of favourite things to do, but it is a necessary step along the way. The water-causing-cracks-problem behind me, I took the opportunity to add a bagel-like shaped feature behind the pickup so that I can add a pickup switch. This three position switch will give humbucker-series / single-coil / humbucker-parallel. This tonal variation may prove very useful seeing as there will be no other controls.






I did a bit of reading up on t'internet and white undercoat is recommended for fluorescent paintwork. 

 
I then realised, after refinishing the body a second time, that the headstock is a different colour due to the white undercoat.


Painting is tedious.

The headstock was also re-finished to make it match. Both parts were then lacquered with a polyurethane based coationg that promised to be heavy duty and suitable for alloy wheels. It smelt just like a tin of wood varnish, but it does seem tougher than the original acrylic lacquer. Actually I was very pleased that the white undercoat did make a difference as the orange colour is now much brighter. Every cloud has an orange lining!

Another two week wait to allow the lacquer to harden and then it is ready to be flattened down again. This time I used the bare minimum of water with the 1200 grit paper, 2500 grit followed by rubbing compound and finally T-cut. It looked pretty good in most places, but I noticed a few areas where I had rubbed through the lacquer and it was flaking at the edges. D'Oh!

Painting is tedious.

I knew the flaking had to be dealt with before it started to spread everywhere, so the surface was roughened up slightly and a few more coats of PU lacquer were applied.

I now need to wait for another two weeks because "Painting is tedious".


Unless you're painting bagels...

 

No comments: